Re: munged yaboot.conf

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 12:18:34AM -0700, Wesley Smith wrote:
> I'm using a G5.  I can get to the yaboot menu, but no further.  To get
> further, I have to edit yaboot.conf.  Is there a way to access it from
> the menu?  Otherwise, are there any other techniques besides using a
> live Ubuntu disc?

as Jack mentionned earlier, you can do this using a debian installer cd.

- boot on the cdrom, enter install-power4 at the prompt
- follow the installer up to the point in mounts the cd
- press alt+f2 to access a shell
- use the following command to mount your root partition

 # mkdir /rootpart
 # mount -t ext3 /dev/sda4 /rootpart

 provided the partition is the 4th one on the scsi disk and uses ext3.
 you may need the device path to something like
 /dev/scsi/bus0/target0/lun0/part4

- chroot in the partition, edit yaboot.conf and run yaboot

 # chroot /rootpart
 # vi /etc/yaboot.conf
 # ybin -v
 # exit
 # eject
 # reboot

 i think only earlier versions of yaboot needed to have /proc mounted
 from within the chroot. if so, use 'mount /proc' before calling ybin.

hth, paul