Re: backlight control on NV chips

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:34:32AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 23:35, Guido Guenther wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm attaching a qick hack that I'm using to control the display
> > brightness on my NV17 based pbook. Simply pass the brightness (1-15) as
> > argument on the comman line. This is quiet usefull when using offb since
> > adjusting the brighness only works with rivafb.
Uuhhh I _should_ use a spell checker from time to time...

> Interesting. Does adjusting the brightness works at all with rivafb ?
> I though it only did full on vs full off ?
I posted a patch for this a while ago.

> One thing... The formula you are using to calculate the value written,
> ideally, you should try to understand the OF forth code setting the
> brightness and reproduce the precise formula used there. It uses
> some values in the device-tree as parameters for example. I wonder
> if we risk damaging the backlight circuit by writing incorrect values
> there ...
Well, I simply didn't get around to do it yet. I'm using the patch for
several months now, so incorrect values don't seem to cause any harm.
If you choose values between 1 and 15 the values will always be _lower_
than the ones set by MacOS X.
Cheers,
 -- Guido