Re: 2.6.5-rc3-ben0 freezes on old iBook

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 17:18, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Michael Schmitz writes:
>
> > > unfortunately, IDE and fbdev's arent" good module citizens at this
> > > point.
> >
> > Only for powerpc, or in general?
>
> AFAICS, ide is specific to powerpc because of a number of powerpc-only
> low-level drivers that insist on being built into the kernel, while
> fbdevs are an issue pretty much everywhere.

Ugh ? What 'number of powerpc-only low level drivers' ? Some basic
motherboard support stuffs, sure, but most drivers don't, and that
has nothing to do with the IDE problems which are related to the IDE
layer not playing nicely with modular stuff in general and relying
on global hooks provided at the arch. level. I can probably fix
ide-pmac to be a module that can be inserted but certainly not let
it be removed, at least not in 2.6. But I have more important issues
to chase at this point.

Ben.