Re: xcdroast-scsi bus

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 04:06:51PM -0500, J. MacPhail wrote:
> My question, is it sensible to try for a little more convenience, by
> attempting to configure hotplug for automatic actions when an external
> scsi device is powered on/off?

I could be wrong, but I'd be extremely surprised if the hardware is
even capable of automatic notifications of new devices. It certainly
isn't supported with the current driver for any internal Mac SCSI
controller. The scan of a SCSI bus is only done at initial bus setup
and on explicit request. My understanding of SCSI is that devices do
not send an unsolicited message on powerup. The only driver I looked
at that supported hotplug on SCSI does it more at the bus level than
at an individual device level anyway. There are probably more hotplug
SCSI controllers, but only the one (ips.c) was immediately obvious.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com