Macintosh 16" Color Display and XFree86 - problem

Greetings all.

I'm trying to get XFree86 (4.1.0.1) to work with my Apple monitor, which
is a Macintosh 16" Color Display.  I just installed Debian 3.0 PPC on a
PowerMac 7200/75 with the standard built-in video only, w/ 1MB of VRAM.
It boots using quik.

The monitor is a fixed-frequency (50 kHz horiz / 75 Hz vert) model with a
resolution of 832 x 624, 70 dpi.  The monitor works fine as a tty, but
attempts to start XFree86 aren't successful.  There are no error (EE)
indications in the log until it reports:

 Fatal server error:
 AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

I haven't found anything useful on the web or the list archives, other
than a vague reference to xpmac (deprecated) and building a customized
ModeLine.  Other than the fact that the monitor manual gives values of 70
dpi and 57 MHz, the following auto-generated value from the log looks
fine to me:

 (**) FBDev(0): Built-in mode "current": 57.6 MHz, 50.0 kHz, 75.0 Hz
 (II) FBDev(0): Modeline "current"   57.60  832 880 944 1152  624 625 628
667 -hsync -vsync -csync
 (==) FBDev(0): DPI set to (75, 75)

I don't think those minor differences are significant, since I've played
around with them in the ModeLine.

One message appears on the console that does not show up in the log file:

     FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument

I've attached the current config file (which I've edited after generating
it with 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'), and the most recent log
file, which was generated using the active values in the config file.

Any solutions or help making progress would be appreciated.

"Don't die wondering..."         http://members.bellatlantic.net/~cpg/
                                          email: cpg@bellatlantic.net
chris out-
  peace.              Christopher P. Gill