Re: Burning CD's on TiBook IV

Hi wolfgang

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 20:11, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 22:44, digger vermont wrote:
> > Hi Wolfgang
> >
> > I've also had good results with xcdroast.  I believe the doc's that came
> > with it were enough to help me get started.  With the 2.4 kernel you'll
> > probably want to use ide-scsi(?) module.  I'm using a 2.6 kernel and its
> > no longer needed.
>
> Thanks. And yes, it helps ..
>
> Problem is, if I set up my CD stuff for 2.4, it won't work (or least
> these 2.4 settings are deprecated) for 2.6. Or that's at least what I
> found in the article below (which is, BTW,  part of the cdrtools-doc
> package).
>
> Actually the document (the "README.ATAPI.setup.gz") seems to be a good
> starting point -- but I think I'll have to make a decision for 2.4 or
> 2.6 ... :) More on it in the following docs, second part, below "Kernel
> 2.6.*", first few lines there:

README.atapi from the xcdroast docs "feel" less complicated.  I don't
recall having to do that much work.  Perhaps because I use devfs?

Keep in mind I don't burn too many cd's.  With a 2.6.2-ben1 kernel I
just started xcdroast and scanned for devices and it found the atapi
cd-drive.  I then booted a 2.4.24-ben1 kernel, started xcdroast, and
scanned for devices. It found the "scsi" cd-drive. In neither case did I
actually try to burn a cd.  I just scanned the empty drive.

As far as I can see the only difference is that I have the line,
append="hdc=ide-scsi" in yaboot.conf's section for the 2.4 kernel.

It seems to happen automagically.

digger