usb mouse on lombard

I've just installed debian unstable (upgrade from woody) with kernel
2.4.18 (install24 on yaboot prompt).
I wanted to use my genius scroll-eye mouse, which I've been successfuly
using on my pmac 7200 with debian testing, kernel 2.2.20 (also upgrade
from woody).
I'm using the same mouse section for the X config files (XF86Config-4),
but in my powerbook (lombard 333) the mouse only responds to up and down
movements, and in the pmac 7200 works great...
I've had a lot of problems trying to install debian on this powerbook.
Now, apparently, everything else is working fine, except the mouse, wich
is a shame, because without that, I can't access the menus (I hate
3-Button emulation && the trackpad)
Is there something else I have to do to make the mouse work properly?
thanks!

PS: what's the best kernel for this machine? I think I'll try to compile
some 2.6.x...

salud! (cheers!)
moraleja: de los desechos quimicos salen superheroes o supervillanos