Problem width sound on iMac

Hi!

I had the chance to install a debian on an iMac (550 Mhz Dvd), and everything
works fine but the sound.

in console i heard the system beep, the xmms is capable to play a mp3, but i
have no control over the volume. but the artsd does not init. instead it
displays an error message.

" Error while initializing the sound driver

SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT failed - Invalid argument "

my modules.conf, sound section, is like I've read in some other mails...

----- modules.conf ------

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/sound
### DEBCONF MAGIC
#prueba a ver si soy capaz de poner el puto sonido...

alias	char-major-14	dmasound_pmac
alias	sound		dmasound_pmac
alias	midi		dmasound_pmac
alias	sound-service-0-3	dmasound_pmac
alias	/dev/dsp*	dmasound_pmac

alias	sound-slot-0	dmasound_pmac
alias	sound-service-0-0	dmasound_pmac

### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/sound

Please, can you help me ??? I'm using debian with a 2.4.18-newpmac  kernel

thanks.