Re: PowerBook Partition the Harddisc

On jeu, 2004-01-08 at 13:04, Christian Banik wrote:

> I want to Install Debian on my PowerBook. This is my harddisc:
>
> /dev/hda1 Apple driver
> /dev/hda2 Apple driver
> /dev/hda3 Apple driver
> /dev/hda4 Apple driver
> /dev/hda5 Apple driver
> /dev/hda6 Apple driver
> /dev/hda7 Apple driver
> /dev/hda8 Apple driver all together, perhaps 200KiloByte.
>
> then:
>
> /dev/hda9 free disc space 4GB
> /dev/hda10 Apple Operating System 30GB (I want to keep MacOSX)
> /dev/hda11 AppleExtra 20KiloByte
>
> My question: Can i delete /hda 1 to 8? Are the 8 Apple driver Partitions
> necessary? Or shall i splitt /hda 9 as boot, swap and root partition (so that
> i will finialy have 13 !!!! Partitions) ?

Apple driver partitions are necessary for Pre-MacOS X systems. If you
never boot into MacOS 9, you don't need them. I myself will not take the
risk and leave them. You never know, because the day you'll need them
you'll be foobared.

Unlike on PC, Mac partition scheme does not limit itself to 8 partitions
(including extended). So this is not really a problem to have 13
partitions.

Hub
--
Hubert Figuière - Freebox SA. - +33 1 73 50 2 563