Solved: [was: Re: Powerbook G4: Mac OS X does not boot again]

Hi all

First this: thanks to all who were giving their time ... good to know
you're not on your own if something breaks on the machine ...

And my apologies my clock was wrong in one or more previous postings:
I'm in trouble with my clock on PPC-Debian :) ...

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Clive Menzies wrote:

> I guess the next thing to try is booting off the OSX CD (hold down C
> whilst booting) and see if you can repair your OSX installation.
>
> Good Luck ;)
>
> Clive

As I told before: I reinstalled Mac Os X to its old partition and then,
not being able to boot into Linux any more, re-ran ybin. Debian is now up
again, too, on the machine.

(the next line is for Google ... :)
Rescueing a Debian Linux on a Powerbook G4:

Just in case someone wants to know how the last step -- getting
the already installed Debian back onto its feet -- works:
(I hope I still remembered it correctly for the following steps ... no
guarantees ... ):

1. Booting from the Debian 3.0 r1 Install CD into the Installer.
   (BTW: That's why I think it's always a good idea to have one,
   knowing you don't have a floppy on a Powerbook G4)

2. Going through the installation steps until the keyboard is configured.
   (no further than this .... )

3. Changing to the console (was it <alt> - <fn> - <F2 ?> ??)

4. Mounting the / partition where the already installed Debian sits,
   to mnt. Something like
   mount /dev/hdaX mnt
   (where the X in hdaX is the partition number of the Debian / directory
   where your already installed Debian is living)

5. mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
   (making sure before that there actually is a mount point /mnt/proc)

6. chroot mnt /usr/sbin/ybin -v
   (before that please check you have ybin in the directory above)

7. umount /mnt/proc/

8. umount /mnt/
   (I'm not quite sure whether you really need slashes for directories
   like mnt in #6 or #8, for example)

7. reboot

That should be it, as I hope.

Thanks again to everyone.