Re: Boot-floppies for PowerBook G3 Wallstreet

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 10:47:10PM -0700, Henry House wrote:

> I am trying to install Debian on a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet using floppies.
> The floppies came from:
>
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-powerpc/current/powermac/images-1.44/
>
> The hfs-boot floppy worked for booting, the root floppy worked, and the
> installer started nicely. Alas, when I tried to install the kernel, the
> install did not recognize either hfs-boot or the rescue floppy as the disk
> needed. So this installer seems broken to me. Can anyone help?

If you're working strictly from floppies, you need to burn a separate
floppy (rescue.bin) with the kernel image. The hfs floppy has the kernel,
but it's a MacOS disk so the installer doesn't have a clue.

Alternatively, you could try configuring the network before installing
the kernel. This is a little-known alternative: if the network
configures without needing any modules (the driver for your network
card is probably built in to the kernel), you can get the network up
and then point the installer directly to the debian archive to get the
kernel and the rest installed.

> After I get the system installed, I intend to use Quik for booting from Open
> Firmware. Any tips for that would be helpful as well.

It 'often' works as advertised just by using the installer menu item.
If not, we'll try to help.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
By the People, For the People