Re: Ethernet Adpater

On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 05:33, Kevin Smith wrote:

> I'm trying to work out the ifconfig tool and how to assign more than 1 IP
> address to the ethernet card.  I have an IP address assigned to eth0,
> however, I don't know how to assign another IP address to it.
>
> This is (bizarrely enough) easy in Windows 2000 as I currently have about 8
> IPs on the ethernet card, but how do I do it with Linux?

First of all, make sure this is what you really need. It's an
odd config. Maybe you're doing this when you really should be
using some sort of routing or bridging feature.

> I thought I could do something like this: ifconfig eth1 up.  But it reports:
> No such device.
>
> Any ideas?  Unless of course ifconfig is not infact the correct tool...?

ifconfig is the right tool for old systems. It is a BSD-like tool
that is pretty much emulated on top of a much more capable design.
If things look odd, it's because you're not seeing the full picture.
To use the full power of Linux networking, you need to ditch ifconfig.
I think the "route" tool also falls into this catagory.

New packages:

iproute -- tc, ip, rtmon, rtacct, routef, routel
iptables -- iptables, ippool, ip6tables
ethtool -- ethtool

There's also ebtables, which might require the 2.5.xx kernel.
Debian hasn't packaged ebtables yet. It's for NAT and firewall
stuff at the Ethernet level.