Kernel2.4.20 & PowerbookG3-Lombard awakening hiccup

Hello

3 weeks ago I've compiled a stock kernel.org 2.4.20 kernel and replaced the previously used 2.4.18 one. I took the 2.4.18 .config and added a second wirelesslan driver (and maybe a few other modules). About 5 weeks ago I upgraded my RAM to 256+512MB (from which only 2*256 were recognized). Since about 3 weeks I've been experiencing frequent power cutoffs after waking up the pb from sleep - after opening the lid and hitting a key, it would switch on the hard disk and the display, then about 1-2 seconds later it would just switch completely off. Pressing the power-on button would boot it, but the function key setting has each time been resetted (which means that the PRAM has been deleted, right? BTW I'm still looking for a version of fnset that really works on this lombard, unlike some claims from others, looks like there are multiple versions of lombards, I have a 333Mhz CPU). Independantly from wakeup, the poweroff did only happen once, and this was when MacOS9 was running natively - well I think there is a loose connection somewhere, I've had sudden poweroffs quite a few times already, maybe once per month or two. But the poweroffs right after wakeup looked like a new phenomena and it happened in about 30% of all wakeups.

I thought that it was maybe the not correctly recognized RAM (and the salesman claimed I would have to upgrade my firmware; I searched the apple pages but only found upgrades for pismos and newer models; so I returned to the shop, but the technician there didn't find a firmware upgrade either and claimed that the MacOS9 "software upgrade" tool would automatically install upgrades anyway). So I gave up with trying to use more than 512MB total RAM and traded the 512MB bar for a 256 one (so I have now 512MB total). But I've still had 3 or 4 poweroffs the same day. So I downgraded my kernel to 2.4.18. This has been 4 days ago and I have not had a single case of a poweroff since with 2.4.18.

So my conclusion: I *think* that there must be some software problem with wakeup with 2.4.20. (BTW if I remember correctly it was with 2.4.20 that I've seen the wakeup cycle take really long (~20 seconds) until X is back and the beep is played. This only happened 2 times.)

Of course it might also be a *combination* of flaky hardware and this kernel. If that's the case, I'll have to take precautions (buy another laptop soon enough).

Did anyone have the same experience?

Christian.