Problem with ati r128 and xfree86 4.2.1 (unstable)

Hello

xfree86 won't start on my g4 733 (with ati rage 128 pro pf, not the
stock nvidia). I got no warnings or errors in the log, except in the last
lines where x unloads all modules and tells me that:
  "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."

(well, there is a warning around log's start saying that apm open
failed, but it doesn't seems to be a problem)

It works with the fbdev driver, but is very slow (not surprising) :-(
(I had to comment the "BusID" line, or xfree complained about a
resource conflict)

I have a 2.4.20-ben1 kernel with aty128fb compiled in the kernel (not as a
module), and console works fine.
I read somewhere in the list archive that you need the aty128fb module
to be loaded. Does it really mean that it must be compiled as a module ?

I tried with and without several config params: DRI, hardware
acceleration, BusID, UseFBDev. I don't need 3d acceleration, reasonable
2d would be ok :-)

I'm really stuck...

Jérémie