Re: Getting a Performa 6360 to boot off of Debian

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 06:26:37AM -0800, Steven Schlansker wrote:
> I thought it was actually referring to that all of the output would go
> to ttya, not just open firmware!  And thanks for the info on nvsetenv,
> that's what I needed.  My boot device is currently set to
> /bandit/ohare/ATA/ATA-Disk@0:0
>

> I set input and output-device to ttya and rebooted, now it does
> nothing.  I can only assume that it's sitting at OF and giving me a
> CLAIM failed message.
>
> Uh oh... it won't accept the floppy as a boot disk anymore...  I had
> this problem before where I had to type "bye" at the OF prompt to get
> it to boot from the floppy.  I now have a computer which won't boot.
> How can i change the ttya to kbd and screen?  I can't zap the prom,
> ttya is the default.  Can't boot into MacOS, I partitioned the disk...

If you go ahead and use Cmd-Opt-P-R to reset the pram, it will change
the boot default to MacOS and set auto-boot? to true.  That should let
it boot from the rescue floppy, which is quasi-MacOS-based.

Then nvsetenv to check the auto-boot? setting, make sure it is still
true (so it won't stop at OF), reset your boot-device, set boot-file
to Linux (this refers to the image name in your quik.conf), and
hopefully it will go!

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003