Re: Second round of powerpc subarch investigation : boot-loaders.

 > It it fails, I will format my internal IDE disk using Apple's Drive setup
 (it now contains Debain, but I want to repartition it anyway), and try
 booting from there.

 I don't have a README or INSTALL file, so am I correct in the above steps to
 take, or do I miss anything?

There's a bunch of stuff in the powerpc install manual you can refer to,

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

But, no, I don't think miBoot will work off a hard disk partition.
It's designed to be on a floppy. I could be wrong :)

Actually it does work from a disk, so long as it's a bona-fide mac disk (i.e., working driver partitions and such). I actually used it this way a while ago, when LinuxPPC was still around. Once you set it as your boot partition, you'll have to reset nvram stuff to get back, though, I think, but don't take my word on that. :^) If you put it on a floppy you just won't have to worry about screwing your boot disk stuff, if you're the sort to worry about that kind of thing. It's easier, too. ;^)

What I also don't know is if HD booting vs. floppy booting will adversely effect testing in any way - I can't think that it would (besides the fact that the point of boot-floppies is to boot from floppies :) but someone else should probably verify that.

NRH

--
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In
practice there is. -- Yogi Berra