Re: Debian Installation on PowerBook G4

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 00:41, Christian Banik wrote:
> -Can i use the root Mac OS X Partion as Debian /home Partition because
> of MP3's (i think that's not possible)?

There is now a hfsplus driver for linux, and it has both read and write
support. BUT: it doesn't do journaling (like OSX can do), so your data
isn't as safe as on ext3 or xfs (i prefer XFS, it has performance).

In my experience though, the hfsplus driver works really well for
reading, and pretty good for writing. So yeah, it's possible to use it
to play mp3s from. But I'd advise having a seperate /home for linux -
data security, stability blah blah.... :)

> -Should i install MacOSx first or Debian?

OSX, then debian. but make sure to leave partition space for debian.
none of the HFS+ resizers actually work on volumes used with a remotely
recent version of OSX.

> -Are 4 GB enougth for Debian's Mac Version (on my x86 Platform 2 GB are
> enougth)?

I have 2.8 out of 6 GB used. (excluding /home). full gnome2, development
stuff.

> -Is my graphic card ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (64 MB DDR SDRAM)
> supported (XFree86)
>
> -My machine is a M8859*/A (actual 1 GHz PowerBook). Is everythink
> supported, so that i can use Woody 3.0.0  instead of 3.0.1?

Use the unstable distribution, you won't be happy with woody on powerpc.
--
Stewart Smith (stewart@linux.org.au)
Vice President, Linux Australia