patching kernel question

I have a g3pb with deb 3.0. I downloaded kernel 2.4.20. Configured a pmac kernel. I downloaded patch 2.4.21. When patch p0 < patch-2.4.21 is finished my make file says it is 2.4.20. I dont have config.in.rej but I do have defconfig.rej. It list a couple of items with a + or - to the left but I dont know where to change y or n to get no *.rej file. i.e How to It to patch successfully.?

I would also like to know how to go about changing some config items in a benh kernel to suit my needs.--something that is a module (m) I might want in (y) or some thing that is off (n) I might want as (m)???? can this be done???