Re: swiss german keyboard config needed

> > Option  "XkbSymbols"       "de_CH+group(switch)"
>
> Ahh, well, I did (and YES, I did deactivate my .Xmodmap first), but,
> uhhm, this has to be the so called make-fun-at-your-co-workers-option,
> no? ;)
>
> But serious, the effect was quite interesting. No keys except the number
> keys were working, not even the cursor keys, so I couldn't reach the
> shell history to invoke xmodmap. And, well, which key would have been
> supposed to be the Mode_switch? At least, alt didn't work either, I
> still could reach only the number keys (and only these)..

Erm, sorry. It's supposed to be:

Option  "XkbSymbols"       "macintosh/us+macintosh/de_CH+group(switch)"

Then to get the Mode_switch (at least on my US iBook) you have to get AltGr by
pressing fn+<alt/option>. For me the right-hand alt key acts exactly the same
as the left, so I have to press fn too. Check this using xev.

Look in the file /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/group for other switch options (it's
easy to set the <Apple-logo/command> key to be AltGr, too.

> > I don't know if there are differences for a Swiss keyboard.
>
> Dunno, but I guess not?! How to test?

xev will tell you which X keycode and keysym is being sent for a keypress, but
you'll need access to an Swiss external Apple keyboard to see the differences
between them.

Frank