Re: OS X as Client, and Debian as backbone?

Hej,

Tuesday 12.08.03  13:09  wrote Bengt Thurée:

I have heard some rumours that this combination (using Macintosh OS X as
clients and Linux as a backbone (fileserver)) do not work perfectly.

At my Pa´s Office I did setup an oldworld PPC (7X00, did not remember exact).

I used to setup woody direct from the boot-floppy, via dsl and ftp.
This system does not have an own big disc, but mounts from a HP NFS servers
an export this via netatalk. From dmesg the version:

Total memory = 48MB; using 0kB for hash table (at 00000000)
Linux version 2.2.20-pmac (root@voltaire) (gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)) #1 Thu Mar 21 17:08:23 EST 2002

netatalk is version  1.5.3.1-1

This time I know of two problems:

1. The MacOSX Finder (Jaguar, 10.2.6) does not show the File-Info Comments used
by the Mac-OS9 Clients.

2. Copying big files (CD-images for example) caused the system to crash. I saw with top, that the system consumed all the available RAM (only 48 MB !) during
this process, and ups, the system died. This was reproducable.

I dont know of other issues, but this might be the one person using MacOSX in this Office (all others are still at Mac OS 9) is not a power user, it is a person without a 'feeling' for situations which may be errornous. He simply use the PC as it is
and that is it.

Do anyone have any comments on this combination, or where can I
find more information?
What will work, and what will not work?
What problems can I anticipate?

So my view at this combination is: it is working as needed for us. We do not try to print via linux. But we use this system as internet gateway, as netatalk server, as nfs client, as samba client (copying files from an old citrix NT 3.5.1 to the nfs server for backing up his files, as firewall, as mailserver and as http proxy, and the uptime today is 100 days.

What else do you need?

Regards, Holger.