Finnish X11 keymap on iMac?

Greetings,

Having just substituted the original narrow iMac keyboard with an after-market
keyboard, largely because that original keyboard appears unsupported by X11, I
find that the Finnish XFree keymap still fails; several keys are where they
should not be. I tried the normal i386 keymap, which also fails, presumably
because the stock Debian PPC kernel is configured to look for Mac scancodes.

This is really beginging to piss me off, as the console-data maps are perfect:
if I use the i386 keymap, I get the exact same deadkeys, etc. as i386 hardware;
if I instead use the mac-usb-fi, all keys also work, but metakeys and deadkeys
end up where Mac users would expect them e.g. the @ symnbol is at a different
location than on the i386 map. Anyhow, both i386 and Mac Finnish keymaps work,
exactly as expected, on the console, using _any_ damn USB keyboard I throw at
it, including the original narrow iMac keyboard.

My question:  is there any way to make X11 use the console-data keymaps, instead
of wasting time trying to hack X11's abyssimal keymap system into something that
might be remotely usable by non-American users on non-i386 hardware?

Thanks.

--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/