Re: swiss german keyboard config needed

Hi Michel

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 18:43, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 14:20, Andreas Wüst wrote:
> >
> > I just ask myself why the Mode_switch key is not working out of the box
> > (well, of course I know why, because it is not mapped to any key, but
> > why is this so)??
>
> Because nobody has bothered yet to fix the keymaps / create variants
> better suited for laptops / whatever the best solution is.

Aha, I see. But, hmm, this doesn't seem to be a laptop specific problem,
no? I have to be honest, I don't understand the Mode_switch problem
anyway. When using the stock settings, i.e.

        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "de_CH"

there's no Mode_switch at all. Not surprisingly, XkbRules xfree86
defaults to xfree86 for the keycodes (which maps keycode 64 to LALT),
and uses macintosh(macintosh) as default geometry.

I wonder if there's really a need for a laptop variant. What is the
difference between a normal and a laptop keyboard apart from the lacking
keypad? Are there any keys on a laptop keyboard not included on a normal
keyboard (except the fn key)??

--
Best wishes,
Andi