Re: Powerbook G4 getting very hot. Solution?

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Sander van Geloven wrote:

> Pander wrote:
>

> > Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> >> On Debian, the fan, once it starts running some minutes after booting
> >> the
> >> machine, never stops running until I shut down Linux. The fan's
> >> running at
> >> low speed, always. Contrary to Mac OS X, where fan speed is changing
> >> from
> >> time to time, IIRC, from "low" to "high" speed, and probably vice versa.
> >> And, again IIRC, in OS X it sometimes even stops running completely for
> >> some time ...
> >>

> I just installed cpudyn, and I don't know if it is because of this or
> the European heat wave, but now my powerbook start doing OSX stylish fan
> control. although not in the "high" speed but more in a sort of an
> unconvincing "middle" speed.

I don't have cpudyn installed, and here on a 2.4.21-ben2 I have the same
nearly permanent fan middle speed as you do ... I *think* that's related to the
hot summer here  ...
Before this weather, running the same kernel, the fan sometimes stopped
completely on the running system.

I check from time to time the metal case of the Powerbook G4 here ... if I think
it's getting too hot I simply shut the machine down.

I'm careful with this heat on my machine:

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2002/debian-powerpc-200204/msg00651.html>

Good luck,
Wolfgang
--