Re: Newbie (to ppc), but glad to be here.

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:07:24PM -0400, Jeff Feige wrote:
> Boy, I've sure noticed that the PPC support is lacking compared to i386,
> but I'm sure all of you know that already.
>
> I'm running Debian (Woody) on a Snow 500MHz (Flower Power motherboard is
> what's reported in dmesg) CRT iMac.  I have been fairly successful in
> getting *most* everything set up.
>
> My questions are as follows:
>
> 1.  Is there any way to adjust the monitor settings (brightness,
> contrast etc.) with Linux?  I have googled to my hearts content but have
> found nothing definintive.  I did install pmud and the pmud-utils.  The
> only thing I can get to work is snooze, but of course, it puts the
> machine into power saving mode and turns the monitor off as well.  This
> is great except that it keeps me from running any servers or background
> processes.  It seems that DPMS only turns the monitor to black, but
> doesn't shut it off like I would like. Since the brightness is cranked
> all the way up, the screen never gets darker than about 5-10% grey.  I'm
> sure this is *real* good for the CRT over the long haul.

I don't think so...

> 2. My mixer (/dev/mixer) doesn't really seem to work properly.  The Main
> volume control does nothing, while the speaker control adjusts the
> volume.  This would be OK except:  1. My volume control in XMMS (I'm
> running gnome w/o esound (too slow) - so I'm using OSS in XMMS) doesn't
> work.   2.  Since I cannot separately control PCM,  Master and Speaker
> volume, I cannot listen to headphones and turn the built-in speaker
> volume down.

aumix works.

> 3.  Since the cdrom drive doesn't seem to have analog audio hooked to
> the sound card, how do you guys deal with playing CDs?

Another posted mentioned the xmms solution, which I haven't gotten to
work on my machine (a bit older than yours). Good luck, and if you
don't hit the right combination, search the list for my cdda2wav hack.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People