FW: Kernel Panic: no init found

OK, I am ready to throw this PowerBook G3 (firewire/Pismo whatever) out the
fricking window.  For some reason it will not boot from the Debian "Woody"
CD or anyother cd (including MacOS) for that matter. Actually I think the
device alias for cd: is wrong but it won't let me change it with nvalias??
So I jump into handy dandy OF and do a:

0> boot ide1:,\install\powermac\yaboot

I get the yaboot prompt.  Then I do:

boot: ide1:0,/install/powermac/vmlinux2.4

Kernel panic VFS blah blah.  So I do:

boot: ide1:0,/install/powermac/vmlinux2.4 root=/dev/hdf ro  (which is the
device found on previous boot of vmlinux2.4 image).

Now I get Kernel Panic: no init found.  Try passing the init= to the kernel
or something to that affect.

I have tried just about all known combinations of init= including
append="init=/bin/sh" and nothing seems to get recognized.

Can anyone save me before I either throw the PowerBook out the window or
jump myself?? :-)

Bye the way, I apologize but I don't subscribe to this list anymore.  If
possible could you please CC me on any answers?

Thanks a million!!

Barry deFreese
Technology Services Manager
Nike Team Sports
(949)-616-4005
Barry.deFreese@nike.com

--
"Technology doesn't make you less stupid; it just makes you stupid faster."
Jerry Gregoire - Former CIO at Dell