Re: PC graphic adapters on Mac Hardware

On 4 Aug 2003 at 9:03, Ole-Egil Hvitmyren wrote:

> That would mean you have NO idea what's going on until X has started.
> Not my favourite solution. I think the framebuffer drivers in Linux
> should have the possibility to run the emulator long before X starts ;-)

As I said before, if your Mac has Open Firmware, you can
(theoretically, which means I've read about it :-) use a serial
connection to get to a boot prompt, and if Linux is set to use the
Open Firmware interface at boot time, one ought to be able to see
what's going on and interact with the machine properly. On my B&W G3,
I ought to be able to use the USB interface as a serial connection,
yet I haven't discovered how to connect that (and I haven't had the
need for it).

Since you could probably leave the built-in or original add-on
graphics device installed, booting up using that, and only use the
new x86-targeted graphics device with X, you'd have no problem
interacting with the system before X is started.

   Jeroen