Re: tuning laptop disk access

On 03/08/2003 at 22:45, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

> This article only explains how to gather global statistics about
> filesystem reads with vmstat.

I know, I was mentioning it as it contains some useful tips for tuning
daemons and that kind of things that are useful when you want to save
battery (or reduce temperature).

> Do you know if there is a tool to identify processes that read from
> disk? Something like per process vmstat would be needed to identify
> the process to blame for the read.

Not in userspace, but laptop-mode has a debug switch that can help you
(from laptop-mode.txt in kernel Documentation) :

| It can happen that the disk still keeps spinning up and you don't
| quite know why or what causes it. The laptop mode patch has a little
| helper for that as well, /proc/sys/vm/block-dump. When set to 1, it
| will dump info to the kernel message buffer about what process caused
| the io. Be very careful when playing with this setting, it is
| advisable to shut down syslog first!

I must say I have not tried it.

--
Kiko