Re: PC graphic adapters on Mac Harware

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 03:21:41AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 20:40, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> >
> > If you keep using the original graphics device alongside the new add-on
> > card or instead of it, this won't be a problem: Linux will recognise
> > the card by its PCI vendor:device string, so you can still bring up X.
>
> No, as I said, this _won't_ work in general. Some low level
> initialization of the card usually needs to be done by the firmware.

Unless you port the XFree86 bios interpreter to work on powerpc or
something such. I think some experiments where already made, but i don't
know if it is conclusive. The idea is to have the int10/vbe/whatever it
is read the bios, and then pass it to an x86 emulator to execute it and
intialize the card.

Friendly,

Sven Luther