Re: PC graphic adapters on Mac Harware

On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 19:54, Simon Vallet wrote:
> On 02 Aug 2003 16:11:52 +0200
> Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
> > Not hardware per se, but the firmware is a problem. IIRC only the tdfx
> > driver(s) can initialize a card from the ground up, for others you
> > should pick a 'Mac' card. Do you have any particular card(s) in mind?
>
> I was thinking about ATI, as I have some experience with those cards,
> but if there is a "better" (or cheaper ;) choice, why not ?
>
> If I got it right, I may be able to get a working tdfx card (what is the
> chipset -- tdfx ?), even if it is a PC-BIOS enabled card, but I'll have to
> choose a Mac-specific card otherwise (which is perfectly fine for me, as long
> as I know why -- and now I think I do) ?

Apparently, PC 3Dfx or Matrox cards might work, but possibly not out of
the box either, so why not save the hassle and simply get a Mac version?
:) (I understand some cards can also be reflashed, but you probably need
a proprietary OS for that, and there's always the risk of frying the
card in the process) IMHO a cheap Mac Radeon would deliver the most
'bang for the buck'. :)