Re: Xboing: no sound, missing soundIt.h

On 2 Aug 2003, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 20:53, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> >
> > When trying to start xboing I get this:
> >
> > $xboing -sound
> > XBoing - Please wait [ ... ] User, initialising xboing ...
> > No access to sound device: Permission denied
>
> Are you in group audio?

I wasn't, but in the meantime I am, so sound is available for me now .. Thanks,
Michel: Before the current Debian OS I had a RedHat 6.2, where AFAIK there was
no audio group at all ... :)

> > Can't init soundIt library. yech..
> > XBoing - Warning: Audio unavailable or not supported.
> >
> > Is soundIt part of the kernel? Or is it a loadable module?
> > At any rate, I found it nowhere on my system.
>
> Looks to me like it's part of xboing.

I downloaded the xboing tarball this afternoon from
http://www.techrescue.org/xboing/
and had a look at it, and I also had one at the Debian xboing source:

Just a guess:

Either the debian source has no sound support compiled in, or if it has, my
system lacks 3 files, that I found here (and I *think* both xboing versions need
these files for sound support):
http://www.lookbuysell.net/web/astroids/sast1.5/soundIt/

I installed these files on my machine, and the compile of the original, not the
Debian source, finished after some time without errors -- after having changed a
bit on the xboing source files (actually in the end I didn't believe it ever
would .. :)

But when I tried to start this new xboing I got this error:

-----------------
XBoing - Please wait [ ... ] User, initialising xboing ...
XBoing - Error: Xlib Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

Please read `/usr/share/doc/xboing/problems.doc.gz' document for help.
-----------------

I found this on
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2000/debian-x-200012/msg00021.html> :
-------------------
"After upgrade to X4 my X package xboing has troubles..I had to patch it to
use default colormap, because if it do not I get fatal error(s):

XBoing - Error: Xlib Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)"
-------------------

So I think the current xboing simply does not run on a modern X environment ...
but I'm not sure of that: Just a guess ...

But if someone knows what this (from above) means:
"I had to patch it to use default colormap" he might let me know ...

Nice weekend,

Thanks again, Michel, for your help ...

Best Regards
Wolfgang