Re: no sound from audio cd

Quoting gm c <gm_c@hotmail.com>: > I cant get sound from audio cd using XMMS. If I enable the cdaudio > input plugin I can see the tracks listed in the "load file" window when > I select play-file,but no sound. When > cdaudio is deselected and cdread is enabled and I select play-file, > no tracks from cd > are shown in the "load file" window to play. I have configured > cdread &gt; output tab for > read digital cd audio. I seems like it should not matter if both > cdaudio and cdread are > enabled if the read digital cdaudio is checked. The option tab has > dev: /dev/cdrom and > dir: /cdrom which all work good for cdaudio plugin.

I posted the above in Jun. Thanks to the people who responded. Especially joss.

What I had been missing was scsi emulation in my kernel. No where had I read that cd audio would not work (on pismo) without scsi emulation. I will repeat. CDAUDIO WILL NOT WORK WITH IDE DRIVE (IDE-CD). IT WILL ONLY WORK WITH SCSI EMULATION (IDE-SCSI) KERNEL. At this writing the only player that will work ( use the  digital output of the cd-dvd drive) is XMMS. XMMS has a plugin called xmms-cdread. Enabling xmms-cdread and configuring>output tab for "read digital output" and config>option tab for cd device path for scsi drive (example:/dev/sr0) is essential for cd audio. A fstab type mount path for device and directory is not nessary since xmms displays tracks in its play list.

The sound output (of sound card) is a different issue. If one can play a wav file on ones hard drive with xmms then the output sound is configured correctly.

mike