Re: Net card problem (Tx hung)

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 02:27:45PM +0200, lexming wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I relieved an old PowerMac as a server with Debian, it's a PowerMac
> 6400 with an internal PCI net card (SMC 9432TX). The server works as a
> web (apache) and mail (exim) server and it goes fine.
> The problem is about net connection, aproximately once a day the net
> connection goes down with an error like this:
> 	eth0: Tx hung, 126785 vs. 126783.
> 	eth0: EPIC transmit timeout, Tx status 4003.
> 	eth0: Setting half-duplex based on MII #3 link partner capability of
> 0001.
> 	eth0: Setting full-duplex based on MII #3 link partner capability of
> 45e1.
>
> The net card's driver works well, when connection goes down driver
> takes it up. But, after this, the route to the gateway of my local net
> don't work, if I type route on the prompt it holds up on the output
> just before the line with the route to the gateway. I have tried to
> configure the network manualy and with a couple of utilities, and the
> problem still remains.
> I don't know what to do, I don't know if it is a hardware problem of
> the net card?? if it is a hardware problem of the computer?? or if it
> is a problem with the Linux (Debian of course :) )??
>
> Thanks for all sugestions!!

What kernel version are you using? I have the same card on a 6500 (very
similar machine), and I see hangs on occassion.  What driver version are
you using, and are you using the default driver or the one from scyld.com?

I've had to patch the default kernel driver to work on big endian machines, and
afaik, the driver maintainer has not applied the fix, but Donald Becker
had applied it to the scyld version.

| Nathan Ingersoll           \\ Computer Systems & Network Coordinator |
| ningerso@ruralcenter.org    \\ http://www.ruralcenter.org            |
| http://ningerso.atmos.org/   \\ Minnesota Center for Rural Health    |