Re: autodetection of the modelines (EDID ?)

On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 13:23, Yves Combe wrote:
> Le Vendredi 4 Juillet 2003 12:32, Michel Dänzer a écrit :
> > On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 22:55, Yves Combe wrote:
> > > I am looking for a détection of the modelines in debian. (for the liveCD
> > > i work on.)
> > Both the radeon and nv drivers in current XFree86 CVS try to handle this
> > on their own. Using those, putting
> >
> > 	Modes	"<console resolution>"
> >
> > in the XF86Config-4 Display subsection might work in most cases.
>
> OK, thank you.
> The problem is i cannot guess the mode used in advance. Is for a live CD.

fbset will tell you the console resolution, you don't need a mode
definition at all.

> I found parse-edid ( is in the read-edid i386 source) wich works fine in the
> device-tree EDID and gives the preferred mode for the display.

That's another solution of course. Is there a bullet-proof way to find
the EDID in the OF device tree though?

> What is the current status of CVS ?. Could it be usuable insteed of 4.3 now?
> I have put the ds's 4.3 in the iso, i am not sure if using a cvs version could
> be a good thing.

Well, drivers seem to get patched to CVS HEAD versions routinely in
XFree86 packages these days. The radeon driver in my current
dri-trunk-sid packages does this for example, don't know if a recent
enough nv driver is available in any packages yet.