Re: no sound from audio cd

Please don't send HTML messages to the mailing list.

Quoting gm c <gm_c@hotmail.com>:

> I cant get sound from audio cd using XMMS. If I enable the cdaudio
> input plugin I can see the tracks listed in the "load file" window when
> I select play-file,but no sound. When
> cdaudio is deselected and cdread is enabled and I select play-file,
> no tracks from cd
> are shown in the "load file" window to play. I have configured
> cdread &gt; output tab for
> read digital cd audio. I seems like it should not matter if both
> cdaudio and cdread are
> enabled if the read digital cdaudio is checked. The option tab has
> dev: /dev/cdrom and
> dir: /cdrom which all work good for cdaudio plugin.

Disable the cdaudio plugin completely. Instead, you want to use the cdread
plugin. The old cdaudio plugin just uses Red Book audio playback, which doesn't
work on most Macs other than the G3 and G4 tower systems (i.e., iMacs,
PowerBooks, iBooks) because there's no connection between the sound hardware and
the CD-ROM drive's audio out feed. The cdread plugin reads the raw audio data
from the CD and plays it through your audio out device. Unfortunately if you're
using ALSA or OSS output methods, that means that other audio will be disabled
when you play audio CDs, unlike on systems where you can use the Red Book audio.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net