Re: Error when Gnome2 Starts

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 05:13, Mannequin* wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just upgraded to Gnome 2, and I was wondering how to go about fixing
> this problem. I've erased all of my Gnome/Gnome 2 prefs, and I've
> installed everything I can think of that would deal with this problem.
>
> Anyway, here is the error message that pops up when Gnome 2 is starting:

> There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
>
> Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
> correctly.
>
> The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.
>
> The last error message was:
>
> Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon'
>
> GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log
> in.

make sure the process gconfd-2 is not running anymore and remove the
lock in ~/.gconfd/lock or even ~/.gconfd/*  *AND* in .gconf/*.lock

then gconfd will startup fine again... such stuff only happens on
unclean shutdown. It is meant to protect you from garbaging your
config... and in general one cannot just remove the lock when the gconf
process is gone as some use a nfs mounted /home directory...

Soeren