German keyboard and X on PB Ti 1GHz

Hi!

I am trying to install debian onto my 1GHz Powerbook 15" with German keyboard. I
downloaded and burned to CD the Powerpc_woody iso using jigdo from my i386 Linux
machine. (Jan this year)

I installed booting from the CD and selecting install24 and did a base install
from the CD and  "desktop" selection  from tasksel via ftp.

I now have a basic installation and can boot into linux or OSX via yaboot.

Unfortunately I can't get X to run

So...

I decided to update  to one of Ben Herrenschmidt's 2.4 powerpc kernels as well
as the XFree 4.2 .deb package from Herr Daenzer
.

My first problem is that I am unable to find the "tilde" character on the
keyboard. I OSX its ALT "N" but the ALT and CTL keys are just not working as
expected.

If anyone here has already been down this road and solved the problem, I would
be gratefull for a few tips on where to start.

Thanks

Francis