Promise IDE controllers

I'd like to put an IDE controller in by 7600/G3 this summer, and I noticed a couple people on the list are using Promise cards. They're fairly cheap, and I'm curious. :^) Is there anything special I should know before I get one? I'm currently looking at the TX2 Ultra 100 card, but that's subject to change. How is support for the newer cards? Will I need to compile drivers or has someone already done that? I know it won't be bootable, and working under Mac isn't a priority. Any experience out there?

NRH

--
Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. - Thomas Edison

If Mr. Edison had thought smarter he wouldn't sweat as much. - Nikola Tesla