Re: Problems installing Debian Woody on a PowerMac G3 ...

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 05:35:10PM +0100, Fr?d?ric BOITEUX wrote:
> 	Hello,
>
>   I'm new to PowerPC platform (but a user of Debian on i86), excuse me if I don't
> give the right information...
>
>   I'm trying for the first time
> to install a Debian Woody on a Mac G3 : I don't know exactly the name of this
> machine, it's a mid-tour (squared) with sorts of handles on each corner ...
>
> the /proc/cpuinfo gives following info :
> cpu             : 7400, altivec supported
> temperature     : 12-15 C (uncalibrated)
> clock           : 400MHz
> revision        : 2.7 (pvr 000c 0207)
> bogomips        : 796.26
> machine         : PowerMac3,1
> motherboard     : PowerMac3,1 MacRISC Power Macintosh
> L2 cache        : 1024K unified
> memory          : 64MB
> pmac-generation : NewWorld

>   - my second problem is about the X configuration : although I've found the graphic card is an ATI one :
> # lspci
> 00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth AGP
> 00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 PF
>
> I can't configure it (with debconf or not)  !!!

Here is what my device section looks like:b

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Rage 128"
	Driver		"ati"
	BusID		"PCI:00:16:00"
	Option		"UseFBDev"		"true"
EndSection

I think yours should be the same.

>  - sometimes (I can't understand when), I've some OOPS in the syslog !!
>    I suspect a RAM bug, but I don't know on PowerPC a tool to check it
>    (equivalent of memtest86)

The best solution is jsut to buy some new memory. Many people have
found that to solve their problems. That could also cause the
segfaults you mentioned. AFAIK there is no Linux memtest for powerpc.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003