Re: PowerMac 7100/80 won't boot

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 04:26:03PM -0700, Philip Larkin Waters wrote:
> So if I fdisk-ed everything yesterday (my computer is still on), and even
> though when it started it said "you cannot delete the drivers, yet" it
> ultimately let me clear off the whole hard drive....

Well, that 'cannot' is really 'should not' since Linux doesn't need
them at all, but the MacOS does. If you boot this thing using miboot
or BootX, you still need the drivers, but if you use quik or yaboot,
then they're extraneous unless you want the MacOS to be able to use
the disk.

> If I reboot I'm dead in the water right?
> I don't have the MACOS installation disks

That depends on how you started the install... There are several
ways it can be done, and some of them are more forgiving. Perhaps
if you describe how you started out, I could explain what's going on.

> I screwed up on the step that tells me to make a swap partition, and I can't
> go back.

In my experience with the Debian installer, it was almost always possible
to go back.

> I'm on the screen right now that wants me to provide the packages, and it
> doesn't recognize the ftp protocol from the computer sitting next to it, it
> also doesn't recognize my corporate gateway so I can't connect to the debain
> website.

Does it give any errors? Some of the other consoles may have more info.
Try switching to other consoles and see what is there. use Alt-Fn to go
to console number 'n'. The installer interface should be on 1, so use
Alt-F1 to get back. I don't remember which console has the error logs,
so try several of them (maybe 3, which would be Alt-F3).

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com