Re: TerraSoft PPC Motherboard.

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:44:25AM -0200, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Jan 19 2003, Craig Morehouse wrote:
> > Has anyone tried running Linux on this poard?
> >
> > If successful, please reply both on-list and off, if you don't mind.
>
> 	Please, forgive my ignorance on the subject, but I see that
> 	lately people are talking more and more about such boards for
> 	PowerPC's and I read a tiny bit (very tiny) about such boards
> 	and they are basically an ATX motherboard with a PPC CPU stuck
> 	on them, right?
>
> 	If that is correct, what would the benefits of using one of
> 	those machines? Is it cheaper than purchasing a x86 system
> 	with equivalent horse-power? Is it just the techno-lust of
> 	using a PowerPC CPU?

Well, the Pegasos board is a micro ATX design, with a 600MHz 750Cxe on
it, it is fanless which is very nice, and has lot of stuff (1agp slot,
3pci slots, firewire, 10/100 ethernet, irda and the usual motherboard stuff.
Sure you could get an eden via C3 board would enable you to have a
fanless board also, but i think a 600MHz C3 is way slower than a 750Cx.
And you could put a 750Fx (upto 1GHz) on this board, which draws even
less power.

They are still more expensive than x86 competitors, and not as fast as
you may imagine (altough voltaire.debian.org a bi-500MHz G4 builds a
kernel almost as fast as my Athlon XP 1700+ box). I guess any board
produced in low volumes will be expensive, until the economy of scale
applies.

Another reason for using ppc, at least for server like purpose, is that
it is more difficult to intrue on them, as most people would have i386
root kits and such.

Also, compare the 750Fx 3W or so consumption to the 60W or so of the
newest i386 and you will get a lower electricity bill at the end of the
month :)))

Friendly,

Sven Luther