Ethernet Adpater

Hi All,

Well, Debian Linux 3.0r1 (powerpc) installed and working like a dream, well
just about anyway. ;)

I'm trying to work out the ifconfig tool and how to assign more than 1 IP
address to the ethernet card.  I have an IP address assigned to eth0,
however, I don't know how to assign another IP address to it.

This is (bizarrely enough) easy in Windows 2000 as I currently have about 8
IPs on the ethernet card, but how do I do it with Linux?

I thought I could do something like this: ifconfig eth1 up.  But it reports:
No such device.

Any ideas?  Unless of course ifconfig is not infact the correct tool...?

Thanks,

Kevin