Re: Looking for quiet Harddisk

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 05:23:14PM +0100, Claas Langbehn wrote:
> The "Seagate Barracuda V" shall be amazingly quiet.

i only can speak about barracuda IV. they are. even after half a year it
was hardly audible. then it went up in smoke - doesn't seem to happen
too often, though.
one thing to note about seagate's construction is, that it emits heat to
the upside, so it is good for installing a fan in a slot above it. for
stacking multiple disks in a cooling rack it is very bad. that was at
least my impression compared with maxtor drives.

btw, now i have a maxtor diamondmax plus 9 (also fluid bearing). the
spinning sound is a relatively loud rush, but it is unaudible in
a _good_ casing. the seeking is very loud, though - i can't use it
without aam enabled.

hmm, somehow this thread is OT ...

greetings