Re: powerbase240 won't boot, install problems

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 16:16:48 -0500, VincePanero@aol.com composed:

> I am trying to install Debian onto a Powercomputing Powerbase240 Mac clone
> from 1997. I am a newbie. I 've been using an install flppy, a boot floppy,
> then a Debian PPC CD set for the rest of the install.
>
> After the 2 floppies and a small install from CD 1, I got all the way to the
> moment of truth where it should boot on its own...and the screen went black,
> flashes a few times, hard drive idles...then black screen again.
>
> I used the
> ctrl-cmnd-p-r
> key sequence to "cold" boot ...didn't work until I turned off the computer
> and restarted it and used this key sequence again. I had to reinstall again.
> I have now done this three times
>
> What might be happening: I have a different monitor than the stock one that
> came with the 240: a presario compaq 1400 monitor.
> and there is a PC compatability card in the CPU box ( just a Pentium 144
> motherboard that you could switch to under Mac OS 8.5...)if any people have
> any suggestions on how to rectify this situation. please let me know what to
> do. I bought this computer as is in 99'
>
> Any help is appreciated.

well, this site is useful for any settings you may need for
openfirmware, a vague equivalent to a PC's (pc i mean an x86 machine)
BIOS - a mac has a BIOS too, but we won't get into that - the interface
and other subtleties is OpenFirmware (OF from now on), there are also
other things that you may need to know to get a boot off that box, which
sounds like a nice box i might add :).

http://www.penguinppc.org/projects - for yaboot and quik, though i think
it may be a quik bootloader kind of box (you'll see what i'm talking
about at the site);

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc - the general info page mostly
focussed on netbsd (of course :), but look around for some non-*bsd
resources;

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html - includes data for mac
clones - video settings and other stuff. some of it not pertinent to
linux kernels, but the OF settings are. scroll down to the
Powercomputing section, and you'll see your model.

also take a look at the FAQ, and the OF tutorial, they'll be helpful.

apologies if i gave you too much all at once, i tend to do that, heh.

simon