Getting a Performa 6360 to boot off of Debian

I'm really sorry to bother you guys again, but I still have a
completely broken machine over here and I'm completely lost.  I can
boot off the floppy and it works fine.  I've verified that there is
something on the hard drive, something which looks like what it should
(I think).  But, when I boot off the HD, I get a complete garbage
screen.  The power light doesn't come on, but the screen fills up with
bars.  There seems to be a pattern, but nothing meaningful to me.  I'm
really stuck up against the wall here.
Thanks for any and all help,
Steven

=====