Re: Another Newbie question

Hi Chris

Wouldn't recommend MK Linux for anything although I did get it working after a fashion. It is buggy, slow, clunky and unsupported now.

Regards

Clive

At 4:04 pm -0500 31/5/02, Chris wrote:
Dear Debian Guru's,

Thank you all so much for the answers to the list and to me personally
from my last post.  I am most encouraged.

Hopefully this question will be simpler...

1)  In a nutshell, what would I -really- need package wise to use old
macs as X terminals w/ an application server for a web browser
(netscape/mozilla) and an office program (Open/Star Office, AbiWord +
others).  No developer tools, not trying to use Mac-On-Linux, just
DumDum stations.  ALL opinions being begged for.  I've tested the Apps
above on the Windoze side for the last year and think I can teach the
staff to accept and use them.

2)  Can I use an x86 machine to be an application server for PPC
clients? I think I can get my hand on a dual PIII dell server for this.
(yes/no?).

10baseT Ethernet is built into the buildings & the macs already.

I'm really in the planning stage for a project to test the viability of
turning our OldWorld macs into "something that students can use", to
quote a WIntel brainwashed school administrator.

Many Thanks,

-Chris
P.S. I know it's not the right list but anyone know if MkLinux could
make performa 5300 machines work as viable X terminals in the scenario
above?  I'm SO very Linux Green but willing to learn.

Attachment converted: Boris:cmarcoe.vcf 1 (TEXT/MSWD) (001176C2)

--

Clive Menzies & Associates Limited
strategies for business

http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk