Re: French keyboard on X

On 2002.03.22 11:40 Francois Taiani wrote:
Hi Jean-Phillipe,

french keyboards are a bit of a hack with Linux PPC, but fortunately some resources exist on the web (See for instance [1-3]).

this is great (I know that you are't speaking to me, but see following)! I don't know if you are familiar with canadian keyboards, but it is a modified keyboard with some keys allocated to accents and such. I have made an xmodmap that was hacked using an utility (xxkb?, or something) of a keyboard corresponding to the apple design keyboard (ADB) made for the CSA standard (a standard called CAN/CSA-Z243.200-92). It is basically a bilingual (fr/en) keyboard. Are the layouts you have below layed out AZERTY, which IIRC is the usual layout in France?

regardless, thanks for the info.

eric

Basically you need to correctly configure the files /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keycodes/macintosh /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh/fr so that the 2 stage mapping between the keycodes produced by your keyboard, and the symbols actually received by your X application works. (more technical explanations in [2])

From your problem description I guess that your modifier keys (Meta, Apple, ...) are not correctly configured in the symbol file 'fr'. (That correspond to the 'modifier_map' lines in that file.)

I had to struglle a bit myself to get it works (I'm using kernel 2.4.16 and XFree 4.1.0.1). The config files I found on the net did not perfectly work on my keyboard, but it finally did with some minor modifications.

I send you my own personal versions of the keycodes (file "macintosh") and the symbol files (file "fr"). Maybe they'll directly solve your problem.

I case they don't, I'll be happy to help you any further. (In particular, the 'xev' utility was very useful to me to track what was going on in the mapping process.)

Bon courage !

Francois

[1] http://www.mire.net/cl/LinuxPPC-FR.html
[2] http://webperso.easynet.fr/~eherlent/tc/cfl-lisez-moi.txt
[3] http://webperso.easynet.fr/~eherlent/linuxmac_clavier.html

Jean-Philippe FASSINO wrote:

Hello,

I have problem on debian sid, debian kernel 2.4.16 and X 4.1.
I cannot hit composed char like pipe and  braket, etc.
But all work well on console.
Does anyone solve this problem ??

Thanks

JP

// $Xorg: fr,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:42 cpqbld Exp $

// $XFree86: xc/programs/xkbcomp/symbols/fr,v 3.5 2000/10/27 18:31:09
dawes Exp $

[big snip]