Re: Re : Ovnibus news and debian potato ppc

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 13:40, Renato Barrios wrote:

> >De : Elizabeth Barham <soggytrousers@yahoo.com>
>
> > "Renato Barrios" <renato.barrios@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> >
> >>  Specially removing potato from ftp sites or from distribution.
> >
> > <wince/> I and many others are receiving a great deal of benefit from
> > the potato-ppc distribution although it may not quite be to your
> > liking.
> You have to recognize that potato has to be changed or a clear statement has
> to be writed somewhere speaking about its limitations.I mean an alpha
> mention in the name or something similar.

Yes, sir! ;)

Seriously, go ahead and file a bug against ftp.debian.org. The reaction
of the FTP admins could be interesting. :)

Oh, and I think most of potato's limitations are documented. I still
wouldn't call it alpha for any definition of alpha I know.

> >> It would be also the case of customize kernels for ppc
> >> architectures. I wonder what you can have if you compile a kernel
> >> with pc specific options [mac_hid] enabled. It is not a debian task
> >> but someone has to do it.
> >
> > I, personally, would love to see the woody-ppc distribution's kernel
> > (stock) implement mac_hid. It has eased installation and configuration
> > greatly but I'm not the maintainer of these.

What's this about? What's missing in the Debian woody kernels?

> > It is also possible for you to modify the distribution and use it to
> > install it on those within your organization. For example, you could
> > re-compile the kernel with mac_hid enabled and change some of the
> > start-up scripts. Next, you could just place your version on a
> > webserver somewhere and have those installing the system fetch your
> > version of the distribution from your website.
> It would be a different or modified distribution. If debian project has to
> be reliable, this kind of limitations and solutions have to be in the
> official releases. It would contribute to the project as a whole but also
> would be a kind of quality certification by practice. Certainly you have
> spent much of your time to find solutions. If ppc mantainers can't accept
> that and modify things, there could be the case of a real and unsolvable bug
> problem.

I hardly understand what you say, but if there are bugs you should
report them instead of complaining to everybody.