Re: can't dual boot

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 11:13:00PM -0500, Russell Hires wrote:

> Hmmm...exact symptoms. Well, we have OS 8.6, which I had prepartitioned and
> installed potato on, but I was using BootX to do the booting. It's a Rev A or
> B iMac, I'll have to look when I get back to the lab on Monday. I had created
> a 50 MB HFS partition, since I understand that HFS+ is bad for Linux and
> yaboot/ybin...I booted into OF to do the boot hd:8,yaboot thing, and there I
> am in the Debian Installer for woody. I installed, and then when I entered
> the macos=/dev/hda9 into yaboot.conf, I tried to reboot into MacOS.
>
> It would boot into something, since I got the grey screen, and the cursor in
> the top left corner which wouldn't move, and then nothing else. I tried to
> boot off the 8.6 CD and it did the same thing. I tried to reset the PRAM, and
> that did nothing, either.  I could boot into Linux just fine.

I wonder if it's possible a driver partition might have actually gotten deleted
or written over during the install? Well anyway this is what I was after, a grey
screen with the non-movable cursor in the corner (assume a black arrow), not
even a floppy picture.

To install the 9.1 update driver, you booted from the 9.1 CD? So the 9.1 was
bootable but the 8.6 was not.