Re: XFree86/Keyboard can't use at-sign

On Mit, 2002-03-13 at 17:06, Daniel Kleine-Albers wrote:

> the thing with fn+left alt didn't work, then i get a 3, which is the
> fn-function for the l-key.

What if you press fn, add alt, then release fn and combine a key with
alt? :) xev shows this is different, but I don't know if it will do the
trick.

> I found a "dirty" solution based on siggi's xmodmap proposol. With the
> following xmodmap-file i can write an @ with the little enter key right
> of the space bar on my powerbook keyboard and with the right alt key on
> my external apple pro keyboard.

The right alt key on the big keyboards is supposed to act as AltGr
without any hacking; some keymaps seem to be broken though, or maybe
just need options from the alt or group symbols files.

> The function of the left alt key (=both alt keys on the powerbook keyboard)
> is left the same.
>
> clear mod1
> add mod1 = Alt_L
> keycode 108 = Mode_switch
> keycode 113 = Mode_switch
>

> If you know a more elegant solution for this issue (without using
> xmodmap - or is it simply not expected that a user want's to write the
> @-sign ??) please let me know.

While I consider this kind of hack elegant, it's definitely a user
customization - you can't change the behaviour of the enter key for
everyone.

My hope is that there is a clean solution for all this with Alt_R, using
the fn key on keyboards which have only one alt key or two identical
ones. Unfortunately, Xkb is rather complex and it's often hard to
determine where the problem lies.