Backspace key -- ADB keyboard

I just yesterday got 2.2r5 installed on a 7200/75 -- works great -- but the backspace key does not work right in bash. Ctrl-h does work but I'd like the Delete key to do the same. Actually at one point I was surprised to find it working fine but then it broke again after restarting. This was before I started trying to fix it so I have no idea what caused it to start working.

Anyway, I've found a variety of discussions about this but nothing specific to the ADB keyboard. One solution I tried caused the unmodified "e" key to do backspacing. :-|

If possible I'd like the forward-delete key to work too. :-)

Thanks,

--
Mark